Thursday, March 8, 2012

Partner under pressure

A hand from an evening pairs game at the OKC regional that I wish I could have a do-over:

Sitting West, you pass. Lefty preempts 3D, partner doubles and now it is back to you.  What do you bid?



I jumped to 4H, but this was partner's hand (see below). When you bid badly, you better play well and I managed to go down only one in the 4-2 heart fit. Still, I bid badly. What should I have done?



I should have realized that partner was bidding under pressure and might not have the perfect takeout double. I, on the other hand, can tolerate all the other suits. 3H would be what I would bid with a zero-point hand, so that is out. The better bid is 4D, which is forcing to game and asks him to bid his best suit. Even if he bids 4S, we will probably have a good shot, since if spades are his best suit, they rate to be quite good.

No comments:

Post a Comment