Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Capitalize on the lead

After a competitive auction, where you bid only when absolutely forced to, you nevertheless find yourself playing 3S.  The opponents bid diamonds and you get a Q-diamond lead.

What's your plan?

I was still steaming over being put in an untenable contract that I saw the lead, but it never registered. I pulled two rounds of trump and attacked clubs. Down 1.

The lead of the queen was a defensive error; I should have capitalized on it.  North is now marked with the king of diamonds. I should play a low diamond towards the Jack and discard a club on the Jack of diamonds.  Then, we lose only one spade, one heart, one diamond and one club (at the table, I guessed the club ace right, since north overcalled). 3S should be made after the lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment